Please note – all our product prices are displayed without VAT. Where applicable, VAT is applied at the basket.
Information On VAT Exemption & Relief
What is Disabled VAT Exemption / Relief?
This Exemption allows people living with a disability or long-term condition to buy many products without VAT (VAT is the tax government applies to sales). Usually, VAT is 20%. So if you are eligible, this Exemption will allow you to buy certain items at 0% VAT, saving you money. Full information about VAT relief can be found on the HMRC website here.
Which products are eligible?
Many products on carestockroom qualify for VAT Exemption. They are all clearly marked with a green tick (√). VAT Exemption only applies to items which have been designed to be used by someone who is chronically sick or disabled. Examples of such products are Mobility Scooters, Wheelchairs, Bath Lifts & many more daily living aids. Check the HMRC’s list here. Items which are not specifically designed - such as Disposable Gloves - are not eligible.
Can I buy VAT exempt and non-VAT exempt products in the same order?
Yes you can. VAT exemption will automatically only be applied to the eligible products in your basket.
I’m buying for someone else can I still claim VAT relief?
Yes you can. During Checkout when you enter your Address details you'll get a simple tick box form with 3 questions to complete. The questions are:
- Are you claiming VAT Exemption as an Individual or as a Registered Charity
- Name (ie the name of the person who will be using the product) or the Name of the Charity and the Charity Reg No.
- The nature of the disability or long-term condition.
It really is super straightforward and will take you about 30 seconds!
Who is eligible for VAT relief?
To be eligible for VAT Exemption, the government says you have to meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a registered charity – simply provide your charity number (non-registered charities are not eligible)
- Be a person who is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ (or be someone buying for a person who is). The government defines this as:
- living with a physical or mental impairment that has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon your ability to carry out everyday activities
- living with a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes, COPD, rheumatoid arthritis, etc or
- a person who is terminally ill.
You are NOT eligible for VAT exemption if the purchase is for a person who is:
- Living in a care home (including a registered nursing home) unless the home is a registered charity
- Frail elderly person who is otherwise able-bodied
- Only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, such as with a broken limb.
What proof do you need?
In order to qualify for VAT relief on your eligible items, the government requires a simple declaration to be made as to the nature of your disability at the time of ordering. No proof of your disability needs to be shown to anyone at any time.
All you need to provide is the name, address & disability of the person the item is for, and what their chronic sickness or disability is. We don’t need a doctor’s letter or any reference numbers.
Can I still use discounts and coupons if I buy a VAT-exempt product?
Yes, all current discount codes and coupons will work with VAT exempt products.
- carestockroom does not decide if an item is or isn’t exempt
- VAT is a tax the government requires retailers to collect on its behalf - we don’t make any more or less money if we charge you VAT or not
- Sadly, not all products are eligible for VAT relief. VAT will be automatically deducted for those products that are eligible, and you will be able to see this clearly at basket stage before you checkout
- Shipping charges do not qualify for VAT relief
- If you do not complete the VAT exemption form, or you are not eligible for VAT relief, we are obliged to charge you the full 20% VAT on the whole of your order.